I look forward to seeing you on your scheduled appointment date. To schedule an appointment go to my booking website at https://10to8.com/book/bookendocrinologist/. I may contact you or send you a mailing prior to your appointment to remind you of your appointment date and time and pre-register information. When checking in, it may be necessary to obtain copies of insurance ID card(s) in order to bill your insurance company. If you are a new patient, information may be sent to my office ahead of your appointment to streamline registration.
Dr. Rieniets is an adult endocrinologist and therefore not licensed to see pediatric patients.
Policy Letter (important, please read):
Hello and welcome to West Denver Endocrinology LLC!
West Denver Endocrinology is a "micropractice." Micropractice doctors operate in small unconventional clinics without support staff, relying on computer systems or contract services to manage tasks outside of direct patient care. By operating in this way, overhead is minimized, efficiency is improved, and the physician regains time with patients. West Denver Endocrinology’s mission is to enhance and prioritize the doctor-patient element to deliver exceptional medical care that is patient centered, safe, and timely.
Dr. Rieniets is an ABIM board certified Endocrinologist who completed allopathic (or MD) residency and fellowship training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, but she has a background in osteopathy (DO). As a board-certified Endocrinologist Dr. Rieniets provides endocrine care supported by best practice guidelines and clinical evidence; however, she also adheres to the osteopathic philosophy of “patient heal thyself” encouraging patient education, lifestyle therapies, and collaborative patient-provider relationships.
West Denver Endocrinology is an adult outpatient Endocrinology specialty clinic. Only endocrine concerns such as thyroid problems, diabetes, osteoporosis, or other metabolic, nutrition, or hormonal abnormalities are addressed. Patients are required to maintain a primary care provider (PCP) to assist in “non-Endocrine” healthcare. Patients assume risk of bad outcome if they involve Dr. Rieniets in care outside an outpatient Endocrinologist’s scope of practice. Only prescriptions necessary for hormone replacement or treatment of Endocrine disease are prescribed. Dr. Rieniets does not prescribe opioids or benzodiazepine medications. Also, West Denver Endocrinology LLC is not equipped to handle medical emergencies. For a medical emergency call 911 or report to the nearest emergency room.
To make your visit as productive as possible I may require you to bring lab work or other information about your Endocrine concern to your appointment(s) or may request records from other (or prior) care providers.
West Denver Endocrinology provides a relaxing and comfortable waiting room stocked with reading material and refreshments. Although a staff person is not available to greet patients at the door, patients are expected to arrive 5 to 10 minutes before their appointment time and make themselves comfortable while waiting for Dr. Rieniets. Out of respect for patients who arrived on time, late arrivals will be asked to reschedule or may choose to be seen after all on-time patients have completed their appointments. Patients are expected to attend every appointment as scheduled. I have a 24-hour cancellation policy. If you miss appointments without providing at least 24 hours’ cancellation notice on 3 or more occasions Dr. Rieniets will ask you to find another provider. Repeatedly arriving late for appointments, may also result in dismissal from West Denver Endocrinology.
Although I am nearly always available via phone, e-mail, etc..., I still find it critically important to follow up with my patients in person. I recommend that you adhere to the recommended visit frequency outlined in your care plan. Prescriptions and test orders will not be provided to patients not attending appointments and some insurers require patients to attend regular clinic visits to receive coverage of medications or medical supplies. Patients who cannot comply with attending recommended appointments or fail to maintain a primary care physician may be asked to find a new Endocrinologist.
It is the patient’s responsibility to ensure timely receipt of all test results. Patient’s will contact Dr. Rieniets within 7 days of obtaining testing to receive results (if results are not already received).
I require 72 hours for prescription refills. Please be aware of your medication needs and allow time to get your prescriptions filled. Prescriptions are crucial to your health and well-being; please call your pharmacy for your refills well in advance of running low. Be aware that many prescriptions need to be authorized by your insurance company. I complete authorizations in a timely manner, but it takes days to weeks to receive an insurance authorization. Once again, please do not let yourself run out of supplies.
Dr. Rieniets will not dismiss a “non-compliant” patient who attends all appointments and demonstrates a genuine willingness to work with Dr. Rieniets to address and overcome barriers to treatment plan compliance; however, the patient assumes all responsibility for bad outcomes due to non-compliance and any patient who willfully violates West Denver Endocrinology LLC policies, misuses or abuses medication, is verbally abusive to Dr. Rieniets, or threatens Dr. Rieniets will be permanently terminated from care at West Denver Endocrinology LLC.
Prompt payment for services is expected. A fee schedule is available upon request. Patient is required to pay copay amount deemed owed by insurance company on the day of appointment. Patient also reserves the right to forgo insurance billing and pay self-pay price. Self-pay patients receive a “prompt pay” discount when payment for services is received in full on day of appointment. Fees (other than copay) assigned by insurer, such as deductibles, co-insurance, etc…, are handled by West Denver Endocrinology’s billing service provider (Encompass Healthcare billing). The billing service will mail a statement to you. Payment or response is required upon receipt of a statement. Assistance (such as payment plans) may be offered on an as needed basis. Delinquent accounts will be sent to collections (United Resource Systems) and patient will be responsible for all associated fees.
Please facilitate my goal of providing ideal patient care by complying with West Denver Endocrinology LLC policies. I am looking forward to collaborating with you to meet your Endocrine health goals. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to call, write, or e-mail.
Kimberly Rieniets D.O.
By appointment only
|Wednesday||09:00 - 18:00|
|Thursday||09:00 - 18:00|
|Friday||09:00 - 16:00|
|Saturday||09:00 - 13:00|
Anthem BlueCross BlueShield
FEP BlueCross BlueShield
Cigna open access
Rocky Mountain Health Plan
Most major insurances, including medicaid, accepted.
My office accepts the following methods of payment for co-payments, deductibles and services that are not covered by insurance:
- Personal Check
- American Express
For your convenience, I accept cash, check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express. Co-payments and payments for "cash pay" patients are taken at the time of the office visit; for all other charges (i.e. deductibles) a bill will be mailed to the patient. https://pay.instamed.com/ . Co-payments and payments for self-pay patients are taken at the time of the office visit; for all other charges a bill will be mailed to the patient.
Appointments & Cancellations
With the exception of serious emergencies, it is expected that you keep your appointments. If you need to reschedule an appointment, it is necessary that you advise Dr. Rieniets at least 24 hours in advance. Patients who fail to attend 3 or more appointments without proper notification of cancellation, will be asked to find another Endocrinology provider. Your consideration in this matter allows me to accommodate other patients who could benefit from an appointment.
West Denver Endocrinology is an outpatient only Endocrinology clinic. Emergency services are not provided. If you experience a medical emergency, please dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
PLEASE DIAL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU NEED IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY CARE!
WHEN TO VISIT AN EMERGENCY ROOM: GENERAL GUIDELINES
Call 911 or go to an emergency room immediately when someone experiences any of the following:
· Inability to swallow or “keep down” essential oral medications (especially for patients requiring hydrocortisone)
· wheezing, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
· chest pain
· Wounds, skin changes, or injuries accompanied by fever, severe pain, dark discoloration, or joint symptoms
· bleeding that cannot be stopped
· blood in urine, bloody diarrhea, coughing up blood, vomiting blood
· intense abdominal pain
· severe headache or head injury
· fainting or dizziness
· sudden numbness or weakness
· confusion, changes in mental status, or sudden inability to speak, see, walk or move
· Uncontrolled high or low blood sugar failing to respond to usual corrective measures or accompanied by changes in mentation, chest pain, abdominal pain, vomiting, shortness of breath, positive ketones, or fruity smelling breath.
The above symptoms list is not a complete list. Don’t downplay potentially serious symptoms, if you feel an emergency room visit may be warranted, err on the side of caution and head to the nearest emergency room for evaluation. Also, consider the number of symptoms; multiple seemingly minor symptoms may be significant when they occur all at the same time.
WHEN TO VISIT AN AFTER-HOURS CLINIC OR URGENT CARE FACILITY
· If you are needing care right away but symptoms do not meet the above guidelines, you may want to report to an urgent care facility.
· If possible, call your primary care provider for advice.
· If primary care provider is not available or if you are requiring care outside of your primary care providers usual office hours, report to the nearest urgent care or after-hours clinic.
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
You have the right to:
• Get a copy of your paper or electronic medical record
• Correct your paper or electronic medical record
• Request confidential communication
• Ask Dr. Rieniets to limit the information shared
• Get a list of those with whom Dr. Rieniets’ shared your information
• Get a copy of this privacy notice
• Choose someone to act for you
• File a complaint if you believe your privacy rights have been violated
You have choices in the way Dr. Rieniets uses and shares information.
West Denver Endocrinology Uses and Disclosures
Dr. Rieniets may use and share your information to:
• Treat you
• Run the practice
• Bill for services
• Help with public health and safety issues
• Comply with the law
• Respond to organ and tissue donation requests
• Work with a medical examiner
• Address disability, workers’ compensation, law enforcement, and other government requests
• Respond to lawsuits and legal actions
When it comes to your health information, you have certain rights. This section explains your rights and some of our responsibilities to help you.
Get an electronic or paper copy of your medical record
• You can ask to see or get an electronic or paper copy of your medical record and other health information Dr. Rieniets have about you.
• Dr. Rieniets will provide a copy or a summary of your health information, usually within 30 days of your request. Dr. Rieniets may charge a reasonable, cost-based fee.
Ask us to correct your medical record
• You can ask us to correct health information about you that you think is incorrect or incomplete. Ask us how to do this.
• Dr. Rieniets may say “no” to your request, but Dr. Rieniets’ll tell you why in writing within 60 days.
Request confidential communications
• You can ask us to contact you in a specific way (for example, home or office phone) or to send mail to a different address.
• Dr. Rieniets will say “yes” to all reasonable requests.
Ask us to limit what Dr. Rieniets uses or shares
• You can ask us not to use or share certain health information for treatment, payment, or our operations. Dr. Rieniets is not required to agree to your request, and Dr. Rieniets may say “no” if it would affect your care.
• If you pay for a service or health care item out-of-pocket in full, you can ask us not to share that information for the purpose of payment or our operations with your health insurer. Dr. Rieniets will say “yes” unless a law requires us to share that information.
Get a list of those with whom Dr. Rieniets’ shared information
• You can ask for a list (accounting) of the times Dr. Rieniets shared your health information, who Dr. Rieniets shared it with, and why.
• Dr. Rieniets will include all the disclosures except for those about treatment, payment, and health care operations, and certain other disclosures (such as any you asked us to make). Dr. Rieniets will provide one accounting a year for free but will charge a reasonable, cost-based fee if you ask for another one within 12 months.
Get a copy of this privacy notice
You can ask for a paper copy of this notice at any time, even if you have agreed to receive the notice electronically. Dr. Rieniets will provide you with a paper copy promptly.
Choose someone to act for you
• If you have given someone medical powers of attorney or if someone is your legal guardian, that person can exercise your rights and make choices about your health information.
• Dr. Rieniets will make sure the person has this authority and can act for you before Dr. Rieniets takes any action.
File a complaint if you feel your rights are violated
• You can complain to Dr. Rieniets if you feel Dr. Rieniets violated your rights.
• You can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights by sending a letter to 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201, calling 1-877-696-6775, or visiting www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/.
• Dr. Rieniets will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
For certain health information, you can choose or limit what Dr. Rieniets shares. If you have a clear preference for how Dr. Rieniets shares your information in the situations described below, tell Dr. Rieniets what you want her to do, and Dr. Rieniets will follow your instructions.
In these cases, you have both the right and choice to tell Dr. Rieniets to:
• Specify what information should be shared with your family, close friends, or others involved in your care
• Specify information shared in a disaster relief or emergency situation
If you are not able to tell Dr. Rieniets your preference, Dr. Rieniets may go ahead and share your information if it is in your best interest. Dr. Rieniets may also share your information when needed to lessen a serious and imminent threat to health or safety.
Dr. Rieniets will never share your information unless you gave written permission for:
• Marketing purposes
In the case of fundraising:
• Dr. Rieniets may contact you for fundraising efforts, but you can tell her not to contact you again.
Our Uses and Disclosures
How does Dr. Rieniets typically use or share your health information?
Dr. Rieniets typically uses or shares your health information in the following ways.
To Treat you
Dr. Rieniets can use your health information and share it with other professionals who are treating you.
Example: Your Endocrinology doctor asks your primary care doctor about your overall health condition.
To run the practice
Dr. Rieniets can use and share your health information to run her practice, improve your care, and contact you when necessary.
Example: Dr. Rieniets uses health information about you to manage your treatment and services.
Bill for your services
Dr. Rieniets can use and share your health information to bill and get payment from health plans or other entities.
Example: Dr. Rieniets shares information with her billing service and your health insurance plan so insurance will pay for services.
How else can Dr. Rieniets use or share your health information?
Dr. Rieniets is allowed or required to share your information in other ways – usually in ways that contribute to the public good, but many conditions in the law must be met before Dr. Rieniets can share your information for these purposes. For more information see: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/index.html.
Help with public health and safety issues
Dr. Rieniets can share health information about you for certain situations such as:
• Preventing disease
• Helping with product recalls
• Reporting adverse reactions to medications
• Reporting suspected abuse, neglect, or domestic violence
• Preventing or reducing a serious threat to anyone’s health or safety
Comply with the law
Dr. Rieniets will share information about you if state or federal laws require it, including with the Department of Health and Human Services.
Respond to organ and tissue donation requests
Dr. Rieniets can share health information about you with organ procurement organizations.
Work with a medical examiner or funeral director
Dr. Rieniets can share health information with a coroner, medical examiner, or funeral director when an individual dies.
Address workers’ compensation, law enforcement, and other government requests
Dr. Rieniets can use or share health information about you:
• For workers’ compensation and disability claims
• For law enforcement purposes or with a law enforcement official
• With health oversight agencies for activities authorized by law
• For special government functions such as military, national security, and presidential protective services
Respond to lawsuits and legal actions
Dr. Rieniets can share health information about you in response to a court or administrative order, or in response to a subpoena.
West Denver Endocrinology’s Responsibilities
• Dr. Rieniets is required by law to maintain the privacy and security of your protected health information.
• Dr. Rieniets will let you know promptly if a breach occurs that may have compromised the privacy or security of your information.
• Dr. Rieniets must follow the duties and privacy practices described in this notice and give you a copy of it.
• Dr. Rieniets will not use or share your information other than as described here unless you tell Dr. Rieniets in writing and you may change your mind at any time.
For more information see: www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/noticepp.html.
Changes to the Terms of this Notice
Dr. Rieniets can change the terms of this notice. Changes will apply to all information. A current notice is available upon request, at West Denver Endocrinology, and on Dr. Rieniets web site.
• Effective Date of Notice: 3/23/2019
• For more information about this notice contact: Kimberly Rieniets D.O., West Denver Endocrinology, 720-447-8837
• Dr. Rieniets never markets or sells personal information.
• Access to your health information is available through the Practice fusion patient portal (www.patientfusion.com) or by contacting Dr. Rieniets.